Excel/formula error

Hi Tom

Could you tell where I have gone wrong with this formula?:

=if(LEN(TRIM(E11))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E11," ",""))+1)>1,"2 word phrase","single word")

So, if there is more than on word in cell "E11" then return the phrase, "2 word phrase" otherwise return, "single word".

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Christopher Mitchell,

You just have to many right parentheses for the number of left parentheses you have.  You need to put a left parentheses before the first LEN

=IF((LEN(TRIM(E11))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(E11," ",""))+1)>1,"2 word phrase","single word")

If you just want to check for a space in the cell, you could do

=IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",TRIM(E11))),"Single Word","2 word phrase")

=IF(COUNTIF(E11,"* *")>0,"2 word phrase","Single Word")

You can't use a Trim in the first argument of COUNTIF, so it can be tripped up by leading or trailing spaces.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.