Excel/Hyperlinks?

Question
Hi Tom

I wonder if you can help.  I seem to remember some years ago working with a spreadsheet that contained some kind of link (I think it was called a hyperlink), where when a cell was double clicked, it took you to another part of the workbook.  I think that would be very useful in a workbook I have now - have you heard of this?

Thanks

Gail

Answer
Gail,

select the cell where you want the hyper link.  Then in the menu go to the Insert tab.  About midway is the hyperlinks command button.  click on that.  In the resulting dialog, in my version of excel the second choice on the left is "Place in this Document".

you can then set up the hyperlink using that dialog.

Or select the cell and right click.  At the bottom of the popup menu is the hyperlink choice.  Clicking there pops up the same dialog as above.

When setting up a hyperlink you will designate the destination (in the dialog you can use the mouse to select the sheet from a list of sheets and type in the cell address).  At the top of the dialog to select the destination, there is a textbox where you write what you want displayed in the cell with the hyperlink.  This is similar to a hyperlink in a web page.  It will appear in the cell as a hyperlink based on your setting.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy