Excel/Three tab comparison

Good Morning...I am putting together a excel workbook that includes both roster information and budgetting-salary information and want to be able to have three tabs with the first one being the master copy, the second tab being the working copy and the third tab showing the differences between working and master.  All three spreadsheets will have the same multiple headings and ideally will be identical in the end.  Thank you for your assistance.

I assume you know how to set up the master and working and the question is how to get the difference in the third sheet.

Assuming they are identical in layout, then copy one of them to be the third sheet.

In the numeric data areas, you would use a formula like (assume the formula goes in  cell F9 of the third sheet)

F9:  =Master!F9-Working!F9

This assumes the tab name of the master sheet is "Master" and the tab name of the working sheet is "Working".   If you had a space in the name - say working was actually named "My Working", then you would need to enclose that name in single quotes

F9:  =Master!F9-'My Working'!F9

If that doesn't answer the question, then post back with clarification on what you need to know.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.