Excel/vlookup issue

Question
Hi tom,
I am trying to create a calculation which is dependant upon 2 factors, specifically the name of an appliance and its power type i.e. gas or electric
I have a sheet called data with the names of all appliances listed in column 1, column 2 has a value if the power type is gas and column 3 has a different value if the power type is electric
I have tried to use an if statement but using vlookup within an if seems to be an invalid operation.
I want to search the user entry appliance to reference the correct row in my data table, then if the appliance is powered by gas (another user entry) to offset by 1 column or by 2 if electric.
Cant seem to get my head round it.

Any help would be very gratefully received

Kind regards

Lee

Answer
Lee,

=Vlookup(appliance,Data!A:C,if(type="gas",2,3),false)

you would replace appliance with the cell containing the name of the applicant  and replace type with the cell containing the power type.

if A1 has the appliance and B1 has the power type

=Vlookup(A1,Data!A:C,if(B1="gas",2,3),false)

so for the lookup range A:C, 2 is column B and 3 is column C - where the value returned will be collected.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy