Excel/Changes to a cell

I was just wondering if there is a formula/function that is available that can be listed to show when a cell has been modified.

Obviously this could be done via VBA but I am looking for an alternative method if possible?

Hi Jon,

This is one of the limitations in excel, it doesn't give a history of changes done to cells. Of course this can be done through a macro but not directly. Excel was never intended to be used as an audit trail tool.
Although you can create controls like data validation, protection, drop downs to restrict user's inputs.

Hope this helps.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India