Excel/Default Value,Data Validation, ruling for cell in excel

Question
Hi Mr. Gulshan,
Good Day!!!
I am in the process of creating a reporting template for a team in excel. In which I wish to include certain rules to the cells, they are:
1. The default value should appear as zero in each cell.
2. The users are allowed only to key in the numbers which are greater than or equal to zero.
3. If the user delete content in the cell the cell should automatically pick zero as a default value.

Can you please guide me with your expert advise

Answer
Hi Shilpa,

For requirement no. 2, you can use something called data validation. You need to select the cell and click on Data - Validation menu. The dialog box that appears gives you various options to control the data input in the cell.

For requirements 1&3, excel doesn't have a direct formula, however you can write a short macro to do that job.
Let me know if you are comfortable using macros and I'll write one and send it across to you.

Hope this helps,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI