Excel/excel formula

Question
Dear Richard,

In column A I have a list of codes: EG: FD, OI, PO, etc.
in column B I have 2000 peoples names
In column C I have their ages from say 25 to 75.

I am looking for a formula that will look in column A and where there is code, say FD, then the formula will count the number of people that are greater than age 60.

Thanks,

Dennis

Answer
Dennis

If you have 2013 excel you can use this formula
=COUNTIFS(A1:A2000,"FD",C1:C2000,">60")
Of course you need to change it for each of your criteria.

In earlier versions the function countifs isn't available, so what I used to do is put a formula in another column that compared only two cells and then put a 1 in where both criteria were true, then I simply summed the column.
For example
=IF(AND(A1="FD",C1>60),1,"")

The formula will produce a 1 if both conditions are met and a blank if they are not.  Then you just add up the ones.  You would need to use multiple columns to cover all of your criteria in both codes and ages.

Hope this helps

Richard
Florida
USA

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts