Excel/Locking a COUNTA formula

Question
I am using the COUNTA formula for counting names in a set of cells.  When I delete a name the formula changes.  For instance if I am counting for cells A5 to A15 the formula is COUNTA(A5:A15).  When I delete a name the formula automatically changes to COUNTA(A5:A14).  So when I add another name to the series of cells, the formula is now wrong and does not cover the range of cells I wish.  How do I make it so the formula does not change when I delete information from that cell range?

Answer
Say for example that you've got a label in cell A4 (the "header"), your actual list of names in A5:A15, and another label in A16 (the "footer"). Instead of using

COUNTA(A5:A15)

better to use

COUNTA(A4:A16) - 2

Then, as long as you don't delete the header or footer, you can add or delete whatever rows within A5:A15, and the COUNTA formula will continue to work.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Stuart Resnick