Excel/Get new values from column

Question
Hi Tom,

I have a workbook, having multi sheets, all those sheets are resulted on statistics and calculations on master data which is in sheet 1.
in sheet 1, column A, I have project number which is letter + number (start from A1 and suppose to continue till Z99).
in every month, people in different departments adding a new project number (maybe A80 or B 15 ...etc).

is there a formula allow me to capture all NEW project has been added during the month to do the calculation and statistics rather than search on it manually?

Note: each project could be repeated several times in sheet 1, column A... but by sumif formula, I presented it once in each of other sheets.

Example:
Sheet 1

A          B          C
Project #     Description          Cost estimated

A05          New building in area CC1        225,000
A10          Warehouse maintenance          30,000
B70          IT Requirements - Hardware       10,000
B70          IT Requirements - Software        5,000
A05          Car parking Area A - B          15,000
.
.
.
etc.

my needs is to capture (By formula):
Sheet 2
A          B
Project #        Cost
A05          240,000
A10          30,000
B70          15,000

Answer
Mahmoud,

Many formulas ignore blank cells so you could just make your formulas refer to as many cells as you think you will ever need to calculate. You would have to test your specific formulas to see if this works for you.  

You can great a dynamic named range.  I assume you are familiar with how to make a normal named range.  You proceed the same except in the Refers to: part, you use a formula that dynamically determines the number of rows for the range.  This assumes that all the cells in column B that need to be counted contain numbers as you show.

Define a new name

Name:  ColA
Refers to:  =Offset(sheet2!$A$2,0,0,countA(Sheet2!$A:$A)-1,1)
I assume you have headers in row 1 and so I subtract 1 from the countA formula so I can use the whole column and still get the right count of rows for the range.  

then one for column B
Name:  ColA
Refers to:  =Offset(sheet2!$A$2,0,0,countA(Sheet2!$A:$A),1)

when you add a new value in column A, then the range the named range describes should increase to include it.

You would then do formulas like  =Sumif(ColA,"A10",ColB)

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy