Excel/Pivot table Row calculation

What I am trying to do is add a calculation at the row level. I know how to add calculations on columns but am not sure if it can be done on rows. I am not sure if there is another way within pivot tables to do what I want so I will explain what I am trying to do and perhaps you can suggest another solution.

I have a pivot table that is laid out as follows.
Company 1          Jan Feb   Mar etc.
     Expense 1   $$   $$    $$
     Expense 2
     Expense 3
Company 2          Jan Feb   Mar etc.
     Expense 1   $$   $$    $$
     Expense 2
     Expense 3

There are about 6 companies and there are subtotals at the company level. I want to be able to add a calculation in a row (preferably before the subtotal) that calculates 15% of specific expense items. For example, 15 % of expense 1 and 3 but not expense 2.

I have created a column in the data that calculates the 15% on the required expense accounts but from here, I donít know how to incorporate it into the pivot table layout that I want. Or how to add the 15% calculation at the row level in the pivot table itself.

I hope the format of what I laid holds as I send this info.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Answer explains calculations in pivot tables.  If this doesn't give you what you need, you may want to consider having the calculation on the main data page using an IF statement to only calculate the % value for the appropriate items (or using a lookup table against a list of %'s)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!