Excel/Shared - File - in - Excel

Dear Sir,
I and my colleagues are working on an Excel Shared file, in order to be able to save the data we are inputting to this file at the same time. The file is working fine for some days but suddenly one (or more) of us get the following report (This file is locked. Try the command later), after that we will be obliged to save-as the file and change the name and be involved in unnecessary steps.
Would you please guide me to solve this instant problem.
With many thanks in advance

Shared files are a bad idea generally, and it SOUNDS as though you may be using it for data entry, which is even worse - however, assuming you need the file to be shared, you WILL get this error - it occurs when one of the users is in the process of saving the file.  This is by design - if you wait a while, don't save as (or you get out of synch) and then try a few minutes later you will be able to save the file.

You may wish to check your settings for the shared file - you will PROBABLY find that users are still showing as being in the file from some days ago, and I would also suggest changing the keep change history for 30 days to a much lower number.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!