Excel/Sharing in Excel

Question
Dear Sir,
I and my colleagues are working on an Excel Shared file, in order to be able to save the data we are inputting to this file at the same time. The file is working fine for some days but suddenly one (or more) of us get the following report (This file is locked. Try the command later), after that we will be obliged to save-as the file and change the name and be involved in unnecessary steps.
Would you please guide me to solve this instant problem.
With many thanks in advance

Answer
Hi Haytham,

This could be because more than 1 person will hit the save button simultaneously. If the file is too big, it might take a few seconds to save. If another user hits save, he might get this error.

One way to avoid is to not use "Save" too often. Saving once in 5 minutes should be a decent frequency.

You could also set up Auto Save in excel to safeguard your work.

Hope this helps,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI