I'm running excel 2010.  I have a spreadsheet with a listing of names in column A and in column B I have their shift rotation schedule, which is either an A or a B.  I'd like to sort the list so that it sorts column B first, then column A alphabetically, but I'd like column B to sort in an A, B order. See below...

Arnold, John   A Shift
Jones, Bill    B Shift
Murray, Tom    A Shift
Patino, Sergio B Shift

I tried a custom sort and conditional formatting but not having any luck.

your example is simple enough, but there is no way I could derive what rule you are using from that.  

What if you also had

Boomer, Warren     B Shift
Patigo, Nichana    A Shift

You would have to be much clearer for me to understand.  Would you want to create a list of shift A in one location, and list of shift B in another location, then sort each list alphabetically and then merge them taking the first from each list, then the second from each list and so forth?.  

If that is what you want,  you might have to sort your data alphabetically and then use formulas in another location to get the final listing (or use a macro).

If  you want to send a sample file with more details on what you want and what is allowable, then I can see if I can help you.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.