Excel/Want a new window with excel

QUESTION: Hello, I have what is hopefully a 101 question...

I want to open Excel with 2 separate windows, and I used to be able to.  But now for some reason, when I open the other spreadsheet, the first one goes away and I am not able to see both at the same time.

ANSWER: Robin -

To answer this question, I will need to know the version of Windows you're running, and the version of Excel. The fix can vary depending on these two things.

Thanks - Andrea

QUESTION: Hello,  I am running Windows 7 and MS Office 2010

Robin -

With 2010, you can either:
1. Open up 1 instance of Excel, open more than 1 file, and then use View > Arrange All to see all files on the screen at once; or
2. you can open an instance of Excel, then a file, then another instance of Excel, then the other file to open the files separately.

If what you were doing before did not work like either of these, or if the second one was happening automatically, you might have had something set up in Windows. I was able to find other people online with the same problem. You will need to ask an Expert in Computers, Operating Systems.

Sorry I couldn't be more help - Andrea
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Andrea Lynch

I am very familiar with teaching excel concepts, and formulas. I am not as capable with VBA questions.

I currently tutor in this area. I worked for four years developing curriculum and teaching Microsoft applications to adult audiences. I also previously volunteered for

BA, English, Western Washington University Certificates in C Programming, ASP.NET, VisualBasic.NET, University of Washington Extension

Rated in the top ten instructors (national), New Horizons Computer Learning Center.