Excel/Combine IF, MATCH & VLOOKUP

Question
Hi Andrea
I am working on tables that rank companies based on certain criteria and these rankings change each month. When I update the tables, I need to reference their previous ranking. So I have been trying to work out a formula that says 'IF the company name in cell J2 matches any found in column C2:20, then take the information from column A in that row; if no match is found then add a 0]
eg of table
Ranking   prev qrter   Adviser name   No. of Clients   
1   (1)   Company A    502   
2   (2)   Company B    306   
3   (3)   Company C    93   
4   (3)   Company D    92   
5   (5)   Company E   39

I have placed the new table alongside the previous one on the same spreadsheet and tried a combination of IF, VLOOKUP and MATCH but I am obviously not using the correct logic!
I would really appreciate your help, as doing it manually is bound to lead to errors.
Thank you.
Kerry

Answer
Kerry -

Is there a reason you could not have the Company column be the first column, and have Ranking be the 2nd? It would change the answer to this problem to using just VLOOKUP() instead of a convoluted combination of IF(), MATCH(), and OFFSET().

Let me know - Andrea
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Andrea Lynch