Excel/Count formula assistance

Question
Count scenario
Count scenario  
QUESTION: Hi Tom

Attached is a scenario.  I've attached it as a gif format, however it was originally prepared in excel.  It contains several cost centres with data for several weeks (most recent week 1st).  I need to be able to count 4 different values from the range.
1.  The number of times in a row from the most recent week that I am underbudget.
2.  The number of times within that range that I am 2 or more underbudget.
3.  The number of times in total over the full range that I am underbudget.
4   The number of times in total over the full range that I am 2 or more underbudget.
Attached is the scenario.  I will need a different formula for columns B,C,D&E.
Any questions, please ask.
Kindest regards
Paul Hancock

ANSWER: Paul Hancock,

B2: =IFERROR(MATCH(-0.01,$F2:$L2,1),0)
C2: =IFERROR(COUNTIF(OFFSET($E2,0,1,1,MATCH(-0.01,$F2:$L2,1)),"<=-2"),0)
D2: =COUNTIF($F2:$L2,"<0")
E2: =COUNTIF($F2:$L2,"<=-2")

then select B2:E2 and drag fill down to row 9

I put your data in a worksheet and used the above formulas to reproduce the results you show.

Assumes Excel 2007 or later.

--
Tom Ogilvy

Version 2
Version 2  
QUESTION: Hi Tom
Thanks the the formula yesterday.  When I've put the formula into my big spreadsheet I've been designing at work the formula in column B doesn't fit all scenarios.  Refering back to the gif that I sent previously (which I've re-attached with a change to demonstrate) if cost centre 3, week 7 were a positive figure with the other weeks remaining unchanged I would expect cell B4 and C4 to change to 0.  Unfortunately they don't.  Also, week 8 columns B and C are coming out with incorrect figures.  I would expect both to show 0.  I've highlighted both on the gif.
Kind Regards
Paul

ANSWER: Paul Hancock,

>Also, week 8 columns B and C are coming out with incorrect figures.

I guess you mean workcenter 8 when  you say week 8.

These modifications fixed all the problems you described:

B2:  =IF($F2>=0,0,IFERROR(MATCH(-0.01,$F2:$L2,1),0))
so if the value in column F (week 07) is not negative, then b2 should show zero.  

C2: =IF(B2=0,0,IFERROR(COUNTIF(OFFSET($E2,0,1,1,MATCH(-0.01,$F2:$L2,1)),"<=-2"),0))
You originally used the term "this range" which I take to mean the range identified in the formula in column B.  So if that range is zero, then C2 should be zero as well.

these changes fix the problem with center 8 as well.  Let me know if you find another problem.

--
Tom Ogilvy

QUESTION: Hi Tom
Thanks for the reply.  I think we are close to what I was looking for.  In column B I need the formula to stop counting as soon as it meets a figure that isn't negative.  EG

If the Budget variance Figures were:
(5),(3),(1),2,(3),5,(2)
I would need the forumla in column B to stop counting when it came across the number 2, giving a count of 3 in column B.  

Kind Regards

Paul Hancock

Answer
Paul Hancock,

The formula in B already does that.  For your example

3          -5   -3   -1   2   -3   5   -2

the 3 is the result from the formula in column B.

=IF($F12>=0,0,IFERROR(MATCH(-0.01,$F12:$L12,1),0))
(I was testing in row 12)

How about contacting me directly at twogilvy@msn.com

so you can send a file and explain what you see as a problem.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy