Excel/Counting unique words in a column with date criteria

QUESTION: Mr.Purswani,
First of all I would to thank you for giving me your valuable time. My question is:
Lets say I have an excel 2003 sheet where column A contains date, column B contains customer codes & column C contains the different models the customers have purchased on the dates mentioned in col A. In col D I want to display how many different types of models that specific customer has purchased in a specific date range the date range being given in two different cells.
Col. A       Col. B       Col. C
Date 1       Customer 1   Model 1
Date 2       Customer 2   Model 1
Date 3       Customer 1   Model 2
and so on.
Since there will be repeatation in customer code, I want to display only in the first place for any specific customer code.

Thanks for your answer.

Why not use a pivot table to analyse this data.

If you are using a excel 2007 or above, you will find many powerful features in pivot table.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: I want to know if there is any other way apart from pivot table.

Thanks & regards
Raj Narayan Banerjee

Hi Raj,

Another way to handle this requirement is to use autofilters in excel. (Although my favorite is still pivot tables, as they make it easy to play with information)

You can setup autofilters at the heading rows and filter by date range. This combined with =Sumif or =counting should get you what you need.

Hope this helps

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India