Excel/Excel Advanced filter question

I am working on an excel sheet that starts with a batch of information for multiple employees.  I am then creating a sheet for each employee to see what work they have done for the week.  I used an advanced filter to filter each employee into their own sheet.  I was wondering what I need to do for the information to update automatically if I changed the criteria or if I add a new batch of information.  If I could just be pointed in the right direction I could figure it out.  I was thinking macros but it seems like it would not be the best approach.  Please let me know.  
Thank you :)

Hi Ashley,

I would use one table that holds all data of the employees. It is this table that is kept up-to-date.
Then use one single worksheet, which has a dropdown from which to pick an employee (or an employee number).
That worksheet is properly formatted and where needed you use VLOOKUP formulas or a combination of a Match and multiple INDEX functions to pull the information from the source data table.

Suppose your dropdown cell is cell A1.
Also suppose the table is on a sheet called Data.

In B1 you could have: =MATCH(A1,Data!$A$2:$A$1000,0)
This gets you the position where the selected person is.

To get the information from column B you then use:

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...