Excel/Help reqd on vlookup formula

Question
vlook
vlook  
Hi Tom,

How r u? Plz look at the picture as shown and help me how to use vlookup for the same. A2 is not same as E2 or A9. For example, I need to do vlookup on the middle value only (A2) i.e  54053830 to give unique id output of 98452

Answer
Abhimanyu,

54053830  is 8 characters wide and starts in the 6th character of the string in A9.  

=INDEX($B:$B,MATCH("*"&MID($E2,6,8)&"*",$A:$A,0),1)

So this formula in F2 worked for me as I understand the requirement.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy