Excel/Linking Range of Cells from Different Workbooks

Is there an easier way to link a range of cells to a destination workbook than manually doing "=" in EACH cell? The Source workbooks have Jan-Dec data in column format and the Destination workbook has in Jan-Dec data in row format. My destination workbook gathers several department workbooks monthly data.

Its a bit difficult to tell how to do it in an easier way without knowing the details of your workbooks, but here are a few suggestions.

If your data looks the same all of the time, I.E. it is in the same row and columns and takes up the same number of cells then you can construct a template and paste or import your data into that template. Then you create  another template that has the links in it.  The advantage of that is you only have to create the links once, in the original templates and then copy the templates each time you need it.

You might consider using formulas that can work with an array such as
If the formula covers the data range that will be required in all circumstances then creating them and the links in your templates should be helpful.

Also--depending on what your data looks like you may be able to copy the formula down or across and have it change as it is copied to reference the appropriate cells without reinputting the formula in each cell.

Hope some of these suggestions will work for you.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant