Excel/Pivot Tables

I currently have several pivot tables on one worksheet.  They are divided by years and or quarters as needed.  I then use these pivot tables in another spreadsheet into what I call waterfall schedules.  I have a formula in my waterfalls that pull the correct information from each specific pivot table as needed.  As I add new years I have to change the way my pivot tables are calculated and add a new pivot table.  Is there a way that I can "name" my pivot table so that my formula in my waterfall will not have to be changed from year to year as I add new pivot tables and thus the location of the pivot table from say cell A3 to F3?  Thank you.

Hi Karen,

I'm not aware of a naming for pivot tables, however I have another solution.
Everytime you add a new year, create the pivot in a new sheet instead of the same sheet. Now, in your formula, let the sheet name be linked with another cell. Everytime you update this sheet name in the cell, your formula will start looking at the right pivot table.

However, I would also like to point out that if you add many pivot tables in the same file, you end up with a very large and slow excel file.

Hope this helps.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India