Excel/Relating two tables

Question
I am trying to creating a budget template. In the first table I have transactions that are organised by categories. The second table should show the summary of categories from table 1.

For example :

Table 1

Date       Transactions    Category    Amount
2-Mar-14   Chong Qing   Food          $25.00
4-Mar-14   Superstore    Grocery    $14.99
16-Mar-14   McD          Food        $3.50

Table 2

Summary Of Categories          
     Total Cost    
Auto          $0   
Food          $28.50   
Transport          $0

When entering transactions under the Food category in table 1 it should automatically come into table 2. If there is more than one transaction for a category ( 2 food transactions) it should add it to the total ( $ 28.50 in the above example).

I'm not too sure how to link the two, either as a pivot table or to use a formula / VB code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hitesh

Answer
Hi Hitesh,

This looks like a straightforward linking problem. If I understand your question correctly, you just need to add a sum formula and link table 2 to that total. I don't really see a need for macro or pivot table

Hope this helps,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI