Excel/Identify largest number

excel question
excel question  
Sir, In col.A I have entry such as:
A3=100x65x40mm dia
A4=80x65mm dia
A5=32x80x50mm dia
A6=40x32x65mm dia

How to generate / show up this using formula in column B as:
B3=100mm dia
B4=80mm dia
B5=80mm dia
B6=65mm dia

Please see the image alongside.

Because the data in the cell is NOT a number it's tricky to do - I've put together a sheet showing you one way of getting the data

it would be possible to combine the formulas into one long formula (the max formula would have each cell reference replaced with the function it currently contains)

I hope that this helps
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!