Excel/Can you pause formulas from updating?

Question
Tom,
Hope things are well.

Had a quick question. I have a data sheet with a my data, and another summary sheet that has about 50 or so cells with CountIf formulas that point to my data sheet.

When my data sheet updates Excel locks up my PC for about 5 minutes while its performing the updates. These updates are simple and should not take 5 minutes. I'm thinking that the countif formulas are recalculating after each cell is updated and this is what is locking up the workbook.

So my question to you is, using VBA can I disable the formulas from recalculating while the data sheet is updating (update performed by VBA) and then re-enable it once the update is completed?  

Thanks,
Shawn

Answer
Shawn,

You can use the same setting you would do manually

Sub Abc()
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
' Current code
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
End Sub

So this sets calculation to manual at the top of  your procedure and then turns it back on at the end of procedure.  When it is set to manual, Excel should not recalculate each time you edit a cell with your code.   

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy