Excel/Surveys into Excel Functions

Question
Hello Tom,
I’m trying to make excel functions out of a survey, and was hoping you could help me.

A mental health survey allows children to rate their responses between “never” and “always.” Never = 0; Always = 5.

There are 14 questions in the survey.

A child is “flourishing” if she rates 4 OR 5 in ANY of the first 3 questions, AND 4 OR 5 in AT LEAST 6 of the remaining 11 questions.

A child is “languishing” if she rates 0 OR 1 on ANY of the first 3 questions, AND 0 OR 1 in AT LEAST 6 of the remaining 11 questions.

All the other children are “moderate.”

How would I code this into excel to quickly see who is languishing, moderate or flourishing?

I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Calista

Answer
Calista,

Lets say you have 14 cells with a numerical rating.  Say cells M1:M14 for simplicity.

=IF(AND(COUNTIF(M1:M3,">=4")>0,COUNTIF(M4:M14,">=4")>=6),"flourishing",IF(AND(COUNTIF(M1:M3,"<=1")>0,COUNTIF(M4:M14,"<=1")>=6),"languishing","moderate"))

Tested and it worked for me as I understand the rules.

Does that help?

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy