Excel/Conditional Formatting in Excel 2010

in column A I have a lot of dates. In column B I have some remarks (text) and a lot of empty cells. I would like to fill a cell in column A with a specific color only if in column B a remark is inserted.

How should I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Select column A with the first cell as the active Cell.

So say A2:A500 is selected and A2 is the active cell in the selection

Then on the home tab select conditional formatting

then select new rule

then select:  "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"

this will bring up a dialog with a textbox where you can enter you formula for determining when to display the conditional formatting  you will set next

For you situation you should put in a formula like

then slick the format button and under fill, select the color  you want the cell formatted with when there is a comment on the same row in column B.

then click OK.

I use $B2 because I have A2 selected as the active cell in the larger range.  The formula should be written relative to the active cell (in case you are formatting a different range).

I put a $ sign in front of B2 to lock in Column B.  I leave the 2 in B2 relative so it is adjusted properly in the other cells/rows in the selection being formatted.

Tested and worked for me.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.