Excel/Excel-Drop Box

Dear Jan,

I'm having trouble with adding a Drop Box list of items with an attachment of a numbered value.  In other words...

I would like Column A to have a Drop Box list of items: BAT, HELMET, and GLOVE.  And, the items are synced with numbers: 1, 2, and 3.
When an item is selected, Column B will automatically display the valued number.  So, if BAT is selected in Column A, Column B will automatically display the number 1.  If HELMET was selected, Column B would automatically display the number 2. And, when GLOVE is selected, the number 3 will be across from it as well.

How do I set this up?

Sincerely, Amelia.

Hi Amelia,

1. Create that list somewhere in your sheet. Lets say you did that on Sheet2!A2:A10. Make sure cell A1 has a header for the list, make cell A1 Bold.
2. Convert the list to a Table (Home tab, Format as table). That way you can add items to the list and Excel will know to use the entire list.
3. In the cell you need the dropdown in, click the Data tab, Validation button.
4. Select the "List" option.
5. Enter the address of the list: =Sheet2!$A$2:$A$10
6. Enter a descritpive text on the second and third tab of that dialog.
7. OK.
8. In the adjacent cell enter this formula:

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...