Excel/Given Birth Dates : Require Age

Dear Aidan,
From the application forms received from my wife's new students (a Ballet School) I will enter a 'Date of Birth' column in her spread-sheet 'Student Database'. I would like an adjacent column that would self-calculate and then show 'Age Now'. What would you suggest, please.
Yours sincerely,
Gary Fraser.

I'd use the YEARFRAC function - in older versions of Excel this wasn't native, so you'd have to use tools, add-ins to add in the Analysis ToolPak - later versions have it as standard.  The format is (specifically for your case)

where A1 is the student date of birth cell.   this will return an exact age in years and a decimal fraction for part years - if you only want the whole number use

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!