Excel/What's wrong with my excel workbook? :(

Dear Mr Purswani,

My name is Ryan and i'm a student who's a beginner in MS Excel. I've tried doing this workbook for me and my friends, but I think some of the formulae i've used is incorrect. I hope you can help.

My workbook:

(If you can't see the above link, use this:
and replace the # for a forward slash (/).)

My problem is, that when on 8/5/2014 I input data into a dropdown list on a worksheet, it sends data to another worksheet, under that date. This is to store data, so on the next day (9/5/2014), I can input different data from the first worksheet, and store different data under the date '9/5/2014' on the second worksheet.

However, I find that it's impossible to do this. When I input data and hence store the data on the second worksheet under 8/5/2014, it disappears when the day ends!
When 9/5/2014 arrives, the data from 8/5/2014 moves onto that day, instead of staying under 8/5/2014. So it becomes impossible to input data from then on.

How can I fix this, so i'm able to input data everyday?
Thank you.

Hi Ryan,

Basically what you are asking for is as follows:
You would enter certain data with today's date. This data should get stored in the next sheet. On the next day, you will enter fresh data which should be stored in a new line on the next sheet and so on.

The easiest solution I can think of is to use Excel form. This doesn't need any special knowledge.

Just go to the data sheet, select the relevant columns and click on Data - Forms menu. A pop might come, say ok so excel can identify the headings automatically. Now, excel will show a form with your column headings displayed as form fields which is easy to enter.

If this doesn't help, then we might need to resort to macros to meet your exact requirements.

Hope this helps,
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India