Excel/Color the Range when Sum reaches upto 100

QUESTION: Dear Stuart,

I need your assistance in a very easy question.

How can we Highlight the range or cell when sum of that range reached upto total '100' with the help of VBA Code?

For Eg: Data in Cell A1 to A10
1 10
2 10
3 10
4 10
5 20
6 20
7 20
8 30
9 10
10 50

So, like in above example I want to Color the Cells only from A1 till A7 because SUM of the range is '100'.

Please provide your assistance on given question. I will be very thankful to you.

ANSWER: Select range A1:A10. From Home ribbon, select Conditional Formatting, New Rule, Use a formula to determine which cells to format.

Under "Format values where this formula is true" enter:

Then click Format, Fill, [yellow], OK, OK.

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply...

But how can I do with VBA Code to accomplish this task.

Sub colorCells()
'before running this procedure, select the range it should apply to.
'the range should be 1 column wide
   Dim topCell As Range, over100cell As Range
   Dim multiCells As Range, inThisRange As Range
   Set inThisRange = Selection
'topCell is the first cell in the range
'over100cell is the cell that makes the sum at least 100
   Set topCell = inThisRange.Range("a1")
   Set over100cell = topCell
   inThisRange.Interior.Pattern = xlNone
   Do Until Intersect(topCell, inThisRange) Is Nothing
       Set multiCells = Range(topCell, over100cell)
       If Application.Sum(multiCells) >= 100 Then
         multiCells.Interior.Color = 255
         Exit Sub
         Set topCell = topCell.Offset(1)
       End If
End Sub
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.