Excel/Conditional Formatting

Stuart:  I am not sure I am explaining what I want to do.  If a shift starts one day and continues into the next day, I don't want the conditional formatting in #3 to happen.  When I input the times in Excel, the a2 turns red.

Questions:  What do need to do to prevent the cell from turning red?  How can I restate my conditional format to accept 24:00 in the cell and any time after 24:00 (e.g., 24:05) to turn red?  Do I need to restate my other conditional formats?  

I use Excel 2007 and this is my set up for my timesheet in hh:mm format:

A1 = 18:00 m(6:00p)
A2 = 24:00 (12:00a)

To get the difference between the two times, this is the following formula I am

My conditional formatting for a2 is:

1) isblank(a2) = No formatting

2) =IF(AND(a2>=TIME(23,55,0),a2<=TIME(24,0,0)),"","") = no formatting

3) =OR(a2<TIMEVALUE("23:55"),a2>TIMEVALUE("24:00")) = red fill with white font

(1) As I said, there's no such time as 24:00. Midnight is 0:00, not 24:00. And even if there were a time of 24:00, there SURELY is no time LATER than 24:00, so a2>TIMEVALUE("24:00") makes no sense, since after 23:59:59, the next second is 0:00:00.

(2) Why are you entering times only, and creating so much complication? Couldn't you enter

6/14/14 18:00

in A1, and

6/15/14 0:00

in A2? The number of hours from A1 to A2 would simply be

It's not that it's impossible to work with times only. But in the real world, in every project I've every worked on, it's much much more clear and precise to enter the day and time, rather than just the time.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.