Excel/Create outlook email or task if a value changes on a spreadsheet cell

what should I do to create an Outlook e-mail or task if a value (date) on a spreadsheet changes?

Many thanks

ANSWER: Hi Costa,

You need to be more specific on exactly what you are looking for.
Its possible to trigger a mail when excel data changes. Of course it depends on the outlook setup - whether you have a stand alone outlook or connected to an exchange.

Depending on the clarity I may be able to provide a short macro.

QUESTION: Hi Gulshan,

Thank you very much for replying.
I use Microsoft Outlook stand alone.
I know that I can modify rules/formula of cells on a spreadsheet so it will change the colour of it or display a warning. What I want do is set dates on cells and if those dates are=<current date, an automated email to be sent to a user.

You reckon that will need VBA modification or something more easy?
I am not familiarised with macros.

Many thanks!

Hi Costa,

You're right, we need to create a macro. I can do that part for you. It should be a simple macro. I just need some details:
The changes that should trigger a mail
Time when the mail should be triggered - on file open, save or close?
The id to which mail should be sent out.
The mail message that should be sent out.

If possible, please share the link of your file or mail it to me at and mention the subject including AllExperts

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India