Excel/Difficulty with time functions

Hi I am having a hard time entering data from a timer onto excel.
Basically I am trying to graph video time stamps for a tracking/movement software that I use (time, velocity). However, whenever I try to import the corresponding time stamps from the video, excel automatically assumes I am trying to enter time of day. Furthermore, the data is imported starting at 0 and increasing every 0.04 seconds for about 1000 seconds. I have no background in creating formulas in excel and just need to be able to do this one thing. Since the data starts 45:00.0 min into the video, how can I convert the 0.0, 0.04, 0.08, etc. data imported to actually be 00:45:00.0, 00:45:00.04, 00:45:00.08. etc. I need the data to reflect the original time stamp because it has to synchronize with other outside data. Thanks!

On a new Excel sheet, select column C. Right-click on the selected range, and from the menu choose Format Cells.

From the Format Cells dialog box, choose Number, Category: Custom, Type: mm:ss.00, OK.

In C2, enter:

In C3, enter:

Then copy C3 down column C as far as desired. Col C will now display the times in .04 second intervals.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.