Hi Tom

I am looking for a formula that will look in Row 5 for a particular month, then, when it finds it, look in the cell 3 rows above (ie row2), then sum this cell and the cell to the right of it, eg:

If "June" occurs in cell O5 and AN5, I want the formula to sum together O2, P2, AN2 and AO2

(There will be many occurrences of June on row 5)

I think it will be some combination of Index/match/offset, but cant get it right.

Thanks for your help,

I would do it this way

this was tested and worked for me.  Row 5 must hold the text string "June" and not be a date occurring in the month of June.  

You can change the range to match the extent of your data. I used A5:BB5 as the extent of my data for row 5 and row 2 being A2:BC2  The third argument of the second sumif ($B$2:$BC$2) should be one cell to the right of the third argument of the first sumif ($A$2:$BB$2).  All ranges should include the same number of cells.  

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.