Excel/Pivot Tables/Dates

I am trying to put a pivot table that will give my drop down box to sort in date order and not alphabetical order.  I need to pull certain months and I would like them to be in chronological order.  No matter how I put the data in my data sheet, when I go to do a pivot table on the date I get them in alphabetical order.  I have several years of information and it would be much easier to have them come up in chronological order.  My date field is currently in one field.  I tried Month/ Year(full year like 2014).  I tried Month spelled out completely to get them in order like January as opposed to Jan.  it didn't work.  I put the date in as '13, '14, etc.  It didn't work.  I tried sorting on manual sort and it still didn't work.  What do I need to do?? Thanks.

Hi Karen,

Can you send me the file you are trying to use with some sample data filled it. I'm sure it's pretty easy to sord data by date order.

Please send your file to and mention allexperts in the subject line.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India