Excel/Subtracting house from date

Question
Hi Tom,

I have a list of times in the following format: 06/24/2014  1:31:21 PM.  How do I subtract 4 hours from the time so that the output reads: 06/24/2014  9:31:21 AM.

Thanks.

Michael

Answer
Michael,

do you mean so that the output appears in another cell?

if so then assume the cell with the first date/time is A1 and in B1 you would put the formula

=A1-TIME(4,0,0)

that worked for me.   (make sure the cell with the formula is formatted the same as the original cell.

If you want to change the cell in place - in other words, change A1 to display 06/24/2014  9:31:21 AM

in a blank cell put in the formula
=Time(4,0,0)
Copy that cell,

Select A1 (still assuming the original value is in A1) and do a Paste Special and choose Values and subtract.

Again, that also worked for me.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy