Excel/sum values down a column until they meet or exceed value x

Hi, i am using Excel 2010. I have a column of values in column H, and i need to check when the values in column H sum to 1 or just over, and then sum values in another column which correspond to the rows which sum to one or just over (sorry I know I am not explaining this too well- it's difficult to word). So, for example, if the below was in columns H and I:
         H.          I
row2.     0.331.        100
row3.      0.804.        200
row4.      0.511.        150
row5.      0.530.        230
row6.      0.493.        120
row7.      0.337.         80
row8.      0.452.         90
row9.      0.919.         150

and so on, in column J row2 I would want it to sum H row 2 and 3,  which is greater than one, so it would then sum I 2 and 3, and then in column J row3, it would sum row 3 and 4, which is greater than 1 so then would sum the values in column I, rows 3 and 4. But then in row 7, it would have to sum the values in rows 7 to 9 to reach a value greater than one, and so would then sum the values in column I for rows 7 to 9.

I tried a version of a sumproduct array formula but I can't get it to work properly. Your assistance with a formula that could do this would be much appreciated. Please let me know if I should rather email you my sheet as it may make more sense.

Kind regards,

sure, emailing your sheet would probably be much better.  So basically, summing column H determines where the sum of values from column I will appear.  In you example, you sum row 3 in two places which I believe is an error in  your explanation.  I would see sums in

J3  =sum(I2:I3)

J5  =Sum(I4:I5)

J8  =Sum(I6:I8)

I assume J4, J6, J7, would appear blank

So if I am wrong, then clarify the rules when you send the file

send to

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.