Excel/Troubleshooting filter use

filter button
filter button  

filter button
filter button  
I am working in Excel 2011 for mac. I am attempting to use the Excel autofilter to filter by cell value (text, not numbers) and am running into a problem. I use drop-down menus to select cell values for several columns in my workbook. Every time I try to filter in a certain column by a cell value that is selected from a drop-down menu, the autofilter button appears next to the cell whose value I am trying to filter by (see screenshot) and my data isn't actually filtered. As far as I can tell, the autofilter is filtering within the drop-down list options for the cell, not filtering my whole data sheet. Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem?

Thank you!

First, I don't use Mac Excel - UI is pretty different. However, the up/down arrows next to "attribution" looks like Data Validation list, not Filter. Also, the blank cell above "existence" may be the issue in that your real filtering of "Other" ONLY is being applied to 3 cells: from Other to the cell above the blank. Try this: Unfilter all, then select from "Other" to the very last cell in the "Denial" column, THEN apply the filter, Better yet, it seems like you really want to filter on State or Denial, in which case select from "State" to the very last cell in the Denial column with data, then Filter.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks