Excel/Calculating number of times a value appears

Question
QUESTION: The situation is a call center with employee A, B, and C.  Each employee uses a certain type of solutions to answer the call.  How can I automate the process in calculating the number of calls each employee makes and the number of unique solutions used by each employee.  I have a list of over 200 employees so if there's a formula or a way to automate the process that would be great.

See table below.

Employee   No. of calls   No. of unique solutions used
A          5       4
B          4          3
C          3       2

Raw data      
Employee   Solution   
A          1   
A          1   
A          3   
A          2   
A          6   
B          2   
B          3   
B          4   
B          2   
C          2   
C          4   
C          4

ANSWER: Michael,

I would start with a pivot table.  You might need to add a dummy column to get the unique solutions count next to the number of calls.  

If you need an example, send your file to twogilvy@msn.com

--
Tom Ogilvy

QUESTION: Hi Tom,

I tried to send you the attachment but I received an delicery error. Can you please confirm that your address is working.

Thanks.

Michael

Answer
Michael,

I am having no problems receiving email - as an example, I received notification of this "question".  Was the attachment a multi-megabyte file.  Perhaps just sending a representative file would be sufficient.  twogilvy@msn.com

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy