Excel/Excel Solver

Question
Hi Aidan,

How are you?

I thought you might be able to help me on this one. I want to use the Solver in Excel to calculate cell A1.

Name of cells:

A1 = Sales
A2 = Cost = 1,000$
A3 = Commission (5% of Sales)
A4 = Net profit (A4 = A1-A2-A3 AND 10% of Sales)

The only constant is Cost = 1,000$.

The target cell is A1. We want the amount of Sales that will produce a net profit of 10% of Sales.

Thanks!

Claude

Answer
Thanks for the question Claude - all is well here!

To use Solver, I think you are going to need to use A5 as well - into which enter =a4/a1

Solver should THEN work by letting you change A1 to get A5 to be a value of .1

The answer I got for this using solver (If I've understood the question correctly) is 1176.46726045588 - not very round, but I don't think you can get an exact answer on this one!  I didn't totally follow A4 - I've used =A1-A2-A3 as my formula which I think is what you meant.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage