Excel/formula rewrite

In the formula:
A3 refers to a range A3:A5 which has been merged and wrapped giving a new cell reference as A3

D1 refers to a range, D1:G7 which has been merged and wrapped giving a new cell reference as D1

The range: Sheet1!$B$1:$C$159, contains single cells that have not been merged.

Might this been the reason why the formula returns an error?
The word in cell A3 is definitely in the range as is the definition.

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Chris Mitchell,

I tested the formula you show with the conditions you described and it worked fine for me.

When the vlookup returned a matching value it returned correct.  When I changed it to a non-matching value (in sheet1), it returned incorrect.

(the matching or non-matching values were in column C.  Column B had a value that matched the contents of A3 on the sheet with the formula.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.