Excel/copy and paste to new workbook

Hi Tom

I wish to copy a specific area of a worksheet: "B1:P1500".  

I wish to paste this area to a new sheet in a new workbook, without the formulas but with all of the formatting including the conditional formatting as well as the column widths.    

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Chris Mitchell,

If you mean manually, you would need to create the new workbook/worksheet.

Select the range B1:P1500 in the source worksheet

go to the destination in the new worksheet,

do a normal paste.
Then do a paste special and select values

the first paste will copy the formatting and formulas
the second paste (paste special) will overwrite the formulas with the values they produced.

That is how I do this.

If you want column widths and so forth, you might have to work harder.  

An alternative would be to paste as a picture - but the results would be a picture.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.