Excel/Excel If Steatment and Drop down list

Question
HI

I am setting up a schedule for a camp, each day there can are a many activity and I am using a drop down list for the choices (chart 1). I then link them into each camp group using (=) (Chart 2).  I now need to make another schedule for each of the activity exp “Ropes, GaGa Bal, V Softball. “ My issue is with the last chart, I need to populate the name of the camp group only if that activity was selected. I tried an If statement. =IF([Andrea.xlsx]Red!$X$2:$X$29="ropes",[Andrea.xlsx]Red!$X$1,"") and as you can tell from Chart 2 “ropes” was selected but I am still getting a false.

Chart 1
START   END   2B - Yale   2B - Georgetown
9:00 AM   9:15 AM        
9:15 AM   9:30 AM        
9:30 AM   9:45 AM    Ropes          Top Chefs
9:45 AM 10:00AM    Ropes          Top Chefs
10:00 AM10:15 AM Change    Change
10:15 AM10:30 AM Swim C          Swim C
10:30 AM10:45 AM Swim C          Swim C
10:45 AM11:00 AM Change          Change
11:00 AM11:15 AM GaGa Ball   V Softball
11:15 AM11:30 AM GaGa Ball   V Softball
11:30 AM11:45 AM Lunch          Lunch
11:45 AM12:00 PM Lunch          Lunch

Chart 2
     2B - Yale   2B - Yale
9:30 AM   9:45 AM      Ropes   Rock Wall & Giant Swing
9:45 AM   10:00 AM   Ropes   Rock Wall & Giant Swing
10:00 AM10:15 AM   Change   Change
10:15 AM10:30 AM   Swim C   Swim C
10:30 AM10:45 AM   Swim C   Swim C
10:45 AM11:00 AM   Change   Change
11:00 AM11:15 AM   GaGa Ball   Volleyball/Outdoor Games
11:15 AM11:30 AM   GaGa Ball   Volleyball/Outdoor Games

(Chart 3)
Roprs
START   END    Red   YELLOW
9:30 AM   9:45 AM    Yale   Skidmore
9:45 AM   10:00 AM Yale         
10:00AM10:15 AM

Answer
It's difficult to follow this via the medium of allexperts, which is text only.  It sounds like it's possibly some form of array filter - if it is possible to see an example spreadsheet, this would help in providing you with an answer - both from my perspective of being able to see the problem more clearly, and from yours in being able to see it applied!  Question found in question pool, indicating the original person you had asked was unable or unwilling to answer the question- my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage