Excel/Filtering a column with a list of values seperated by dashes

Question

I would like to filter a column whose rows include multiple values separated by dashes. Say:

Column 1
a/b/c
b/d/c
a/f/g

Now I want to filter out the rows which include "a" (in the above example 1st and last row).

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Mo,

You can use custom filters to achieve this result.

First activate filters on this list.
Now, click on the filter arrow on the headings row and select custom.
Add one condition as "contains" "/"
Select "and" option
Add second condition as "contains" "a".

Click ok and you should be able to see the required data.

Hope this helps,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI