Excel/Icon-Set Arrows

Hi Tom

I am calculating 3-mnth moving averages in numbers of rejects

An increase in the 3-mnth moving avg. is BAD, and a decrease good, and no change neutral

I'm trying to get excel to put coloured arrow icons next to the numbers where:

Increase greater than 1% in number shows a Red Upwards Arrow next to number
Decrease greater than 1% in number shows a Green Downwards Arrow next to number
+ / - 1% change in the number shows a Yellow double ended Arrow

Any help much appreciated

I have attached an image that shows the settings to make in conditional formatting, icon sets when you choose "more rules" (last choice underneath list of icon sets).

Before doing this, select the data.

If you want the arrows in a cell next to your percentages, then in those cells link them to the moving average cells.  

if you wanted to show the arrow in cell F2 and the moving average cell is E2, then in F2 put the formula  =E2

now you do the formatting in F2.  (in this case, in the dialog, you would also check "Icons Only" so the percentages reproduced in column F would not be displayed)

see the attached image for the settings.

this worked for me.

If you need me to set it up, send a sample file to twogilvy@msn.com and indicate where you want the icons to appear.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.