Hi Tom,  i HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH Suzanne Barnhill regarding headers, adding documents to documents  she has been very helpful

i just learnt form her website that she is on vacation

i recall you were the one who told me about page numbering icluding control 9.    suzanne told me that i use alt  shift   9 and i will get the page number at the required location  this method gives the page but just as  1    2   3   and on  i wanted to get   1 of 23,  2 of 23,  and on  would you know how i could do that   i have to review something tomorrow morning at work  if at all possible could you respond this evening  if not, please don't worry

thank you very much

Susan Barnhill give assistance on word.  I give assistance on Excel.  However, assume you are speaking about Microsoft Word then

If you go to the Page Layout tab and then on the Sheet Options button on the lower part look at the little box with an arrow head on the right of the bottom part.  Click on that and you should get the Page Setup dialog.  Click on Header/Footer and then click on custom footer

you will see three sections (left, center, right).  The Buttons above these section are predefined "object" you can put in the section.  select the section and location in the section.  Then click on the # button to get the page number.  Then type in a space "of" and space, then click the ++ button to get the total of the number of pages.  This will give you the footer you describe.

Tom Ogilvy
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.