Excel/Adding if(iserror to a range of cells

Question
Hi Tom

I need to add "if(iserror(.......),"0",......." where the dots represent formulas, to a biggish range of cells (P36 to AA79), in order to get the formula to return a 0 if it dosent find anything, rather than #n/a, #value etc. Do you know a quick way I can do this, or do I have to go into each individual cell and add it to the formula already there? I cant add it into one cell and copy down or across, as the formulas in the cells are all slightly different.

Thanks

Gail

Answer
Gail,

If there is a unique combination of characters at the beginning of your formula you can use the Replace command from the right side of the home tab of the ribbon.  But generally that is not the case.  (you might have to do multiple find and replace to alter both ends of the formula.

If I was going to do it, I would probably us a macro, but the pattern you show is confusing.

for what you describe I use the new IFError function

=iferror(current formula,0)

which does what you describe and may be more amenable to the Find and Replace option.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy