Excel/Date filter

Question
Hi Bob,

I am trying to apply a filter on a long list of dates, covering 2014, 2105, and 2015.  I want to display the rows that contain a date beginning with 28.  I am using the custom filter "begins with", but it is not returning any rows.  Is it something to do with the formatting? The dates are formatted as dates.

Thanks

Gail

Answer
add a helper column which contains the formula =DAY(F2) (where F2 is your date field). Dates are stored as "serial" numbers -- # of days since 1/1/1900. Sept 28, for example, is 41910, not 28/9/2014, so it doesn't begin with 28, it in fact begins with 41!
Filter on the DAY(F2) column for 28.
HTH
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Umlas