Excel/Formula to calculate freight charge based on slabs (Min & Max Threshold Weight).

Dear Mr Ogilvy,

At the outset i would like to inform you that in your absence few days ago, i submitted my query to another Expert. However, i didn't get answer within the three days limit hence i am now submitting to you. If this is not right as per the forum rule, kindly pardon me.

I am looking for a formula to calculate freight charge based on slabs (Min & Max Threshold Weight).

the example is as follow :

Rate Chart (This rate slab could grow as per requirement)
Threshold Weight (KG)
Minimum Maximum Rate (Rs)
0    50    5
51    250    10
251    500    12
501    1000    15
1001    5000    25
5001    7500    40
7501    10000    60
10001    100000    100

Now my requirement :
Total Weight   Price
623       ?? <= Formula required

Manual Calculation
Weight   Cost
50    250
250    2,500
250    3,000
73    1,095
623    6,845 <= Expected Result

A sample worksheet is attached. Would very much appreciate help. Regards. Swastik"

Is it acceptable to build a table with the break out of the weight such as you show in your solution?  

If so, then could you send a sample workbook to  so I don't have to guess at where you values are and where you want the break out and the answer (indicate that in the workbook).

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.