Excel/invalid references

Hi Bob

I worbkbook that I have been using for many years has suddenly started to display this messasge when I try to save it:

“A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references…”

The workbook is quite large and complex.  The information that informs all of the functions and charts is placed in one single worksheet.  This worksheet is changed every new academic year to reflect new students who arrive at the shcool.

This is the only change.  Structurally e.g column heading, formulas...nothing else changes.

I have done some reading.  It seems that this is quite a difficult problem.

Do you know of any code that might identify these invalid references?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Mitchell

Not clear what the invalid references are referring to. I'd suggest you go to, type in "A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references" (no quotes), and read through some of the responses to see if there's one which matches your issues. Did you upgrade from Excel 2003 or earlier to 2007 or later? Check your defined names for any errors.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks